Thursday, January 15, 2009

Best Malaysian Food Ever (and quite possible the best meal I've ever eaten!)

Whoa, that's a pretty bold statement. But this was a seriously amazing meal. It was almost a year ago, at the Banana Leaf Malaysian restaurant in Vancouver, that I ate Scallops in Gulai sauce with Mango, and declared it then the greatest meal I have ever eaten. Since then, on many occasions, I have proclaimed it's greatness, and have sought out other Gulai sauces, but to no avail. Gulai sauce is described as "... [a] spicy turmeric coconut sauce made of tamarind, galangal, lemongrass & ginger". I describe it as the greatest thing ever. It was similar to a Thai coconut curry sauce, but with more complex flavor - I think the tamarind really added something. And the mango! Oh, the mango....If any of you are ever anywhere near Vancouver, Canada - go to the Banana Leaf! You will not be disappointed. Some day, I will return again...

No comments: