Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tazziberry pancakes

It's a cold, Autumn day in Tasmania; it has been raining on-and-off all day, with very strong and gusty winds. In fact, there's a "Sheep Graziers Warning" today - get your little sheep inside or tied down, farmers!! Here's the quote from the weather page: "These conditions may cause a risk to recently shorn sheep and newborn lambs until later in the day". Brrr. To brighten up our morning, celebrate fall, and to welcome Reed home after several grueling days of Ultimate frisbee, I made Tazziberry pancakes for breakfast. What is a Tazziberry, you ask? Good question. And in fact, I didn't know until I looked it up myself. I purchased a carton of gorgeous, red Tazziberries (they look like a brilliantly red blueberry) at the market on Saturday, after sampling one and declaring it phenomenally delicious. After a little search around the internet, I found the webpage of the growers I bought my Tazziberries from:
http://www.tazziberry.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=1&MMN_position=20:20
Turns out they are actually a plant native to Chile (there called 'Chilean berries', go figure...) but that grow well in the Tasmanian climate (read: cold, rainy, windy; very similar to Chile...). Their description of the berries' flavor is unsatisfactory, but, for the life of me I can't figure out how to describe them! They have a very fragrant, floral taste, and to me, almost a hint of vanilla or butterscotch. Texturally they aren't overwhelming - they are less juicy than a blueberry, but the exquisite flavor more than makes up for it. And adding them to pancakes? A culinary win. So along with roaring winds and rain, Tasmanian Autumn also brings us a delicious gift: the Tazziberry.

1 comment:

Jamil and Isa said...

Nice I can see you have been putting some though in the blog world again!! More time maybe? I always hesitate to buy Tazziberry on the market maybe I should try so.... You gave me some giant oatmeal tazziberry cookies envis!!